September is National Baby Safety month. Whether you have a baby on the way, or you’ve already been blessed with the laughter of little ones, it’s important to make sure your Gladstone, Oregon home is a safe environment. With a little help from your local storage facilities, the following tips can help you de-clutter, organize and optimize your home with your baby’s safety in mind.
Household Baby Safety Tips
- Be sure that items made from glass and other fragile materials are out of your baby’s reach.
- Tape back or tuck away cords on blinds and curtains.
- Move your baby’s crib, playpen and other furniture away from windows.
- Check all screws and bolts in children’s furniture to be sure they are tight.
- Place plug protectors in all unused electrical outlets.
- If you need to increase humidity in your baby’s room, use a cool mist humidifier instead of a vaporizer that could leak or spill hot water.
- Place window guards to prevent accidental falls.
- Be sure your baby doesn’t have access to medications, cleaning supplies and personal hygiene products.
- Place a non-skid rug or carpet beneath your changing table.
- When your baby is capable of getting up onto his or her hands and knees, it’s time to remove hanging crib gyms, toys and decorations.
- Check baby toys for small, potentially removable parts these can present a choking hazard.
- Make sure there is a working smoke alarm and fire extinguisher on each level of your home.
- Set your water heater’s thermostat no higher than 120 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Relocate large collections of fragile or sharp items.
- Store electric gardening equipment and power tools outside your home.
- Don’t let clutter build up; keep walkways and play areas neat and organized.
Storage Units Help Optimize Your Home for Safety
Some items you own may present a safety hazard, but that doesn’t mean you have to say goodbye forever. Renting self-storage units is a great way to keep your belongings out of reach until your baby is old enough to be exposed to them safely. Climate-controlled units are available, so you don’t have to worry about bugs, mold growth or temperature extremes ruining your prized items. Check out all the options from Northwest Self Storage throughout your area!