Are you leaving home for an extended period of time and don’t want to leave valuables in an unguarded home? Perhaps you’re leaving the country for an extended
In addition, if you don’t want to pay costly rent on an unlived in
- Decide what you want to put in storage. This might be a good opportunity to unburden yourself from excess belongings by selling or donating them. This leaves more space for what’s really important.
- Before renting a space, decide whether or not you need a climate controlled unit. Electronic equipment, glass, clothes, books, CDs, artwork,
woodand clothing are among the items that are especially sensitive to climate conditions.
- Organize! Don’t wait until you’re about to unload your stuff from your truck to plan how you’re going to put it all into the unit. Know what you’re going to do ahead of time.
- Keep your boxes light, and try to use boxes of the same size—it makes stacking them a lot easier.
- Label everything. Since you’re going to be away for a long time, this will help you remember where you put everything when you get back. Be as specific as you can (e.g., “silverware” and “dishes,” rather than “kitchen stuff”). You’ll thank yourself later.
If you’re looking for