Self storage isn’t rocket science, but it does require some thoughtful planning. Use this comprehensive guide to find the right storage solution for your needs.
Why are you here?
You’re considering a self-storage unit and could use some help navigating your options. Or you’ve already got a storage unit but could use some advice on how to get the most out of your monthly investment. No matter how you got here, these resources will get you started.
- If this is your first storage unit and you don’t know where to start, try these packing and storage tips to get a better sense of your storage needs.
- If you’re moving across town or from the other side of the country, check out our moving guide for tips on packing for your move and getting things organized for storage.
- If your storage unit is a total mess and you’re having a hard time keeping it organized, see our advice on how to organize your self-storage unit.
Whatever it is you’re hoping to store, it’s important to start with a thorough assessment of your storage needs. This will inform how to determine your proper self-storage unit size and storage logistics.
What not to do.
Sometimes the don’ts are just as helpful as the dos. Heed these words of caution before storing your items.
- Resist the temptation to rush through packing and organizing. Check out these self-storage tips for effective labeling.
- How often will you need to access various items within your storage unit? Don’t bury high-need items under lower-priority possessions.
- Some of your belongings will need some extra TLC before going into storage. Here are some tips for storing your clothes.
- Don’t let wet Pacific Northwest weather rain on your parade (or your stored items). Protect your valuables.
- And maybe this goes without saying, but hazardous and combustible materials do not belong in your storage unit.
Choosing the right size for your self-storage unit is an economic choice. When your storage unit is bigger than you could ever grow into, you’re wasting money on unused space. Take stock of everything you’re trying to store and consider whether you’ll need additional space in the future. It may be hard to visualize, but try to account for how big items like furniture can be broken down into smaller pieces for space-saving purposes.
From a walk-in closet to a big house and everything in between, we offer seven size options for self-storage units. Use our animated size selector to determine the right unit for your needs.
Now that your head is full of self-storage knowledge, maybe you need a roadmap for next steps. Between on-site security, lease terms, and insurance requirements, we’ve got answers that will propel you into action.
- Do you need more clarity around what you can put in a storage unit?
- Not sure whether you’ll need a climate-controlled unit?
- Take a look at our FAQ page for insight regarding insurance, access, and billing.
- And of course, you can always call us.