11 Oregon Family Vacation Spots
Oregon is unique. It has lush forests, snowy mountains, windy beaches, and high, dry deserts. Whatever you’re looking for in a vacation, you can probably find it here. That’s why we’ve rounded up a few of our favorite family destinations in this great state. Looking for great outdoor hikes? We’ve got ‘em! Want funny roadside attractions? They’re right here! Get your RV or camper out of storage and get ready for a summer road trip.
Family-friendly destinations in Oregon
- Multnomah Falls and the Columbia River Gorge. Though the Columbia River Gorge was hit hard by wildfires in 2017, it’ll always be a stunning place to visit. Be sure to stop by the tallest waterfall in Oregon, Multnomah Falls, which is a staggering 620 feet high. While you’re there, be sure to do some hiking and take in the sprawling views of the impressive Gorge and the thundering Columbia River.
- Powell’s City of Books. Powell’s is a great place to visit when passing through Portland. This four-story bookstore is the size of a city block! Get lost in the towering stacks while fostering imagination and a love of reading in your kids. While you’re at it, find a few paperbacks for yourself.
- Crater Lake National Park. A stratovolcano called Mount Mazama erupted over 7,000 years ago. In its place are the beautiful blue waters of Crater Lake. This classic Oregon landmark offers stunning views and plenty of opportunities for hiking.
- John Day Fossil Beds National Monument. Spur the interests of your budding paleontologists with a visit to the John Day Fossil Beds in Eastern Oregon. They’re a unique record of the last 40 million years of plant and animal evolution, changing climates, and past ecosystems.
- Oregon Vortex and House of Mystery. A fun roadside attraction in Gold Hill, Oregon, the Oregon Vortex has a number of optical illusions that may be attributed to paranormal properties of the area. Whether you’re a skeptic or a believer, this is a fun place to stop, and will have your family debating the authenticity of the House of Mystery for hours.
- Tillamook Cheese Factory. If your family likes dairy, this stop is a must! Tour the giant Tillamook Cheese Factory, sample its cheesy delights, and treat your crew to a sweet ice cream cone. It’s the perfect stop when you’re driving along the Oregon Coast.
- Seaside. Another great stop on the Oregon Coast is the picturesque town of Seaside. This spot is particularly fun for families because of its boardwalk and carnival games. Whether you’re driving bumper cars or playing soccer in the sand, Seaside has activities for everyone to enjoy.
- Newport Aquarium. While you’re at the Coast, be sure to visit the Newport Aquarium. Check out their daily animal feeding schedule, and watch them toss fish to sea otters and pelicans. A visit to this aquarium will inspire ocean conservation and make you feel truly connected to the beautiful wildlife on the Oregon Coast.
- Astoria Column. If your family is a fan of “The Goonies,” you need to visit Astoria. While you’re there, be sure to climb the 164 steps to the top of the Astoria Column. At 600 feet above sea level, you can snag a look at Youngs Bay, the mighty Coast Range, the Columbia River, and the Pacific Ocean in the distance.
- Fort Clatsop. Lewis and Clark spent the winter of 1805–1806 on the wet Oregon Coast in Fort Clatsop. While they didn’t have a great time, you’re sure to! Visit the rebuilt fort, join in on the summer ranger programs, and add some history to your Oregon trip.
- Mt Hood. One of the only places you can ski year round, Mt. Hood is a great destination in Oregon. Apart from skiing, the hiking is unmatched during the summer months. Everyone in your family will be sure to have a good time as you look at the wildflowers and bask in the sun during a mountain picnic.
Which spots are you planning on visiting with your family this year? Whatever you pick, your summer is sure to be packed with fun. Once you’ve witnessed Oregon’s beauty, you’ll probably want to move here, so consider finding a secure spot to store your stuff. Whenever you’re ready to make the move, we’re here to help.
NEXT: Get Your Hobby On in Corvallis